Thursday, July 26, 2012

Complete

I've always loved bicycles. I don't know what it is about them... It's like my fixation with legos as a child was morphed into an adult fixation of velocipedes. I've had some of the best, and worst, times of my life while saddle-bound. The best always involved beautiful trails, good people, and an inner need to go head-to-head with gravity. The worst involved being thrown over the handlebars and fracturing my left collarbone. Regardless of the outcome, I will forever be infatuated with two-wheelers.

For a very, very long time it has been a goal of mine to build a bicycle. To pick a frame. To hunt down each and every component. To be picky. To be patient. To devise a color scheme and stick to it. To build my bike. My goal has come to fruition.

A year ago I purchased a Surly Cross-Check frame from a local bike shop in Seattle. Surly is a company based in Minnesota that produces some of the most wonderful bicycles on the market. Each feature is carefully planned and has years of testing to back up its inclusion. I chose the Cross-Check because of its reputation, its simplicity, and its versatility.

The next step of the process was deciding exactly what purpose this pony would serve. When I thought of all of the possible options I finally settled on "commuter". Having been recently accepted into graduate school, why not build a bike I would ride nearly every day. And, while I'm at it, let's make it a single speed.

Since making those key decisions, it's been a process. I've added parts, changed parts, broken parts, and finally, settled on parts. Wyoming, Idaho, and Washington have contributed through local pedal houses and open roads.

Without further adieu...

Pony

Cross-Check

Surly

Here's to projects and the joy they bring.

Riley

No comments:

Post a Comment