Saturday, July 21, 2012

Bainbridge Island

Caitlin and I are in the early stages of a new, exciting adventure. For those of you who don't know, I'm starting a Master of Education program in mid-August. The first year is here on the island at a place called IslandWood. The following year will be at the University of Washington.

A few days after my evacuation, we moved the majority of our belongings into a condo on Bainbridge Island. Now, when I say "we" moved, what I actually mean is that her parents and brother were wonderful enough to donate a Sunday to help shlep our rubbermaid tubs from Seattle, across the ferry, onto Bainbridge Island, and into our new living quarters. My contribution came in the form of carrying our sleeping bags, one at a time.

Caitlin is working on Mount Baker at the moment and I'm holding down our fort. With the wonderful location we managed to land, I can easily walk to nearly every possible necessity. This includes, which I am still thanking my lucky stars for, a chiropractic clinic that is less than the length of a football field from our condo. I've only had one visit thus far but come Monday I should know a lot more as to the extent of my injuries and how long the road to recovery will be. A couple of days ago I broke down, feeling overwhelmed with my discomfort and lack of mobility. Having a chiropractor so close was an instant exhale for my overloaded mind.

But, enough of that... The true purpose of this entry is to show off our new home!

Transition
I went for a walk earlier and thought the contrast of sail boat masts against the trees was magnificent.

Downtown Winslow
This is downtown Winslow. It's less than a mile from us and has some really, really neat shops. Our favorite on prior trips to the island is a place called the Blackbird Bakery.

I really like Bainbridge Island. Having never lived in a big city, it will serve as a welcome buffer from Seattle but will also allow us to explore the big city streets in preparation for year two of my program. The access to live music is something in which I am particularly excited.

Condo
Our condo, in all its glory, buried in our tubs. More photographs will follow as we actually install. It has a fairly simple layout. The kitchen flows into the living space, our bedroom is adjacent, and the a bathroom with a stacked washer/dryer rounds it out. Compared to the other places we looked at, we're living incredibly well. We do have a deck off of our bedroom that looks into pure forest. It's my favorite part of our space.

So, we're here for one year. Exciting! A new chapter unfolds! We're both really excited to become members of the Bainbridge community and take advantage of everything it has to offer. I already found something that I think would be really fun!

Bluegrass

Come visit!

Riley

No comments:

Post a Comment