Monday, July 30, 2012

Commute

Commuting has been merely a concept up until this point in my life. While attending South Elementary I walked or rode my bike to school. In fact, now that I think about it, up until I was a junior in high school I walked or pedaled. During those last two years of high school I was a licensed driver and spent my time behind the wheel of a 1978 Ford F-150. When I began my undergraduate studies, my folks dropped me off at my dorm. Installed in Laramie, Wyoming, I reverted back to a bipedal or pedaled existence.

As I transition into graduate school, I'm excited that I can continue my non-vehicular travel to and from campus. While walking is an unappealing option, I'll be riding as much as possible. Of course, my commute to school is only three miles.

Which brings us to the fact that we now live on an island. And with that comes the commute. We have to get to and from this place right? There is one bridge you can take to leave the island but it isn't anywhere convenient for us. The ferry ride from Seattle to Bainbridge Island is around 40 minutes. You can walk on, ride on, or drive on. In facing this new aspect of my life, I figured I'd give a glimpse into life on the ferry.

Ferry
The ferry. There are four levels to these boats. The bottom two are for vehicle parking, the third is seating for walkers, bikers, and drivers. And, the forth is an open deck to take in the sights and sounds.

Bainbridge
The view of Bainbridge Island as we approach our landing. Trees, trees, and more trees! I love it.

Seattle
The downtown Seattle skyline as we approach the city.

It's a total novelty for me. I still think it's really exciting. After all, once you're on the boat, you can kick back and relax. Not bad living I say.

Riley

No comments:

Post a Comment