Bike For Pie. "Coined as the Northwest's most original cycling event, this ride is a combination of four great elements - bicycling, Bainbridge Island scenery, summer weather and, of course, pies. There are two routes available - a challenging 32-mile ride that loops around the island and features a rest stop with savory pies hosted by Friends of the Farm, and the family-friendly 12-mile ride. Both include a mouth-watering selection of fruit pies served at Fort Ward."
Caitlin and I opted for the 32-mile route. With a wonderful breakfast under our belts, ample cloud cover, and a stamped hand permitting our admittance into feed stations of pied abundance, we set off!
Within the first mile we ended up behind a large group of riders and rather than ride our brake levers we decided to push ahead in hopes of enjoying the ride together uninterrupted. Our leap-frogging move went quickly and with plenty of space to breathe the ride had truly begun. "This is perfect," I thought. "It can't get much better than this."
BAM! Not a minute later my rear tire exploded! In fact, Caitlin thought it was a gun shot. Close inspection found a hole through my tire and tube.
Here's a glimpse into my "in the moment" internal monologue.
"Wow. We're not even a mile into this ride. The bike shop is only about ten minutes back but it doesn't open for another hour and a half. I wonder if there will be any pie left if I wait? I was sure looking forward to that pie.
Pie. Pie. Pie. Pie. Pie.
Pie!"
And with that, pie changed my tube, inflated said tube, installed my tire, and installed a safety layer of rubber to prevent further incident. Some how, some way... It worked! I rode 31 one miles on this:
Here we are at the feed stations.
Rolling across the finish line, bellies full of pie, we finished the ride happy, healthier, and smiling.
Pie!
Riley
No comments:
Post a Comment