Monday, June 25, 2012

Dorothy Carlson Hopeman

R & D

Dorothy Carlson Hopeman

July 19, 1920 - June 25, 2012

My Grandmother was magnificent and I'm sure going to miss her a whole lot. I was fortunate enough to be with her just a few days before she passed away and I'll treasure those times forever. Saying goodbye to her on Thursday night was a heavy undertaking but one for which I am so incredibly grateful.

I have a myriad of feelings going on inside of me right now. Sadness. Disbelief. Anger. Heartache. More than anything, I feel confused. While I said goodbye, I had so much more to say. So many thank yous to give. So many more smiles. So much more laugher. So many more "I love you"s. Why didn't I say more? I couldn't.

At one point, I was able to say more. Two Christmases ago I organized a massive gathering of Hopemans in Minnesota. During a 90th birthday celebration for my Grandparents, I was able to tell my Grandmother just how special she is to me. On that day, I was lucky enough to say this:

Grandma,

I wanted to take the time thank you and express to you just how much of an influence you’ve had on my life. I have so many wonderful memories of times spent with you and I look forward to many more.

For as long as I can remember, you were always there supporting whatever adventure I was pursuing. Whether it was keeping me in line during my childhood, beating me in Scrabble, or attending my graduations, you were always there to show your support. I’ll never truly be able to show you just how much those times have meant to me.

The way you’ve lived your life has been, is, and will always be a complete inspiration to me. You’ve never done anything half-assed and you play the cards you’re dealt better than anyone I’ve ever known. Whether you know it or not, you’re the rock, the foundation, of the Hopeman family. Without you, I wouldn’t be here. Moving around to Grandpa’s various service assignments, with five kids… I’m still not sure how you did it . And then, slowly losing your eyesight? It might have slowed you down a little but you took it in stride and continued to live an amazing life.

I wanted to share some of the things that you’ve passed along to me that I will take with me for the rest of my life. You taught me to persevere. You taught me to be candid, clear, and concise. You taught me to be kind. You taught me the meaning of family. You taught me to have a sense of humor. More than anything, you taught me to be proud of myself.

Thank you for being such a strong role model for me throughout all of these years. Your support, generosity, and kindness will forever live within me.

I love you.


I never did beat my legally blind Grandmother at Scrabble. And, while I didn't get to say more on Thursday night, the last two things I said to my Grandmother were, "I love you so much" and "goodbye".

I love you Grandma Dort.

Riley

No comments:

Post a Comment