Thursday, May 9, 2013

An Unexpected Evening

On Tuesday night I caught the ferry over to Seattle to grab dinner with Cait's Dad, JP. Just was we were pulling in, he sent me a text saying he was running a little late and that Jack, Cait's brother, was on his way to pick me up. We drove back towards Lake Washington and then Jack unexpectedly turned onto 23rd avenue and told me that JP was down near the water in a boat shop because a family friend was looking into buying a boat. We'd be having dinner near there.

We pulled into the parking lot of Jensen Motor Boat Company and were met by JP who casually shook my hand and asked how I was doing. He and Jack them proceeded to walk me through the incredibly classic old boat shop showing me interesting things about how the boats are fixed, different means of lifting the giant vessels, etc. We neared the end of the dock and JP turned to me as he stepped through a doorway and said, "So, check out this boat."

 Tool Men
 A I stepped through the door to find a room full of the men who have surrounded Cait her entire life and who have so graciously welcomed me into their "family". In the midst of one of the oldest boat shops in the country, a group of guys had gathered to celebrate my nuptials. They were all standing around and smiling adjacent to a table donning beer, whiskey, popcorn, and wrapped gifts.

"This is your tool shower," they explained.

It was a complete surprise. Just as I finished walking around, shaking hands, and thanking each one of them, JP was on point. He read a brief speech as Cait's Uncle, Steve, handed me a small glass of a home brewed beer created by Cait's cousin, Ian. The speech involved a handful of cracks at stories family friend, Doug, might tell involving Scandinavian jokesters Sven and Ole. It was hilarious.

I was then instructed to start opening gifts. I am still taken aback by the entire event and the unbelievable generosity of these men.

Following the opening of gifts, we all moved on towards dinner at Cafe Lago. The food, as always, was incredible but really I couldn't have felt more fortunate than to be dining with the group of men surrounding me.

Tuesday night is an evening I will not soon forget.

Thank you JP, Will, Jack, Steve, Ian, Nick, Doug, Paul, David, and Jim.

Riley

No comments:

Post a Comment