Saturday turned out to be a bright, sunny, cold day (not the forecasted rain). My mother, our dog - Rosie, and my brother, Jack, joined Riley and I for a morning on Bainbridge Island. They met us at our apartment, seeing it for the first time since we moved in the boxes, and then we made our way downtown to the Farmer's Market.
Lots of people were out and about. The farmer's market is just starting to taper off, though it does not seem like the produce is the determining factor. There were still crates and baskets full of beautiful peppers, potatoes, corn, carrots, lettuce, squash and much more. After stocking up on veggies for the week, we made our way around town stopping by the bookshop, the kitchen store, the outdoor store and amusing ourselves with the fun Halloween decor on the sidewalks...
We ate lunch at a fantastic little restaurant called Marché, visited the bike shop, the knitting shop, and finished off the morning with a scoop of ice cream! I had a flavor called "Jack-o-Lantern." It was pumpkin pie ice cream with chocolate chunks - delicious!
The rest of the afternoon was fairly low-key. Riley and I had a wonderful homemade dinner of fresh veggies and quinoa from the Farmer's Market before we headed out to our last stop of the day...THE PUMPKIN WALK. There is a nursery a few miles from our apartment that sponsors a pumpkin walk and games/mazes each October as a fundraiser for the girls and boys club on the island. There were hundreds of pumpkins to look at as we walked the trail...however I would argue that the people watching was just as entertaining! Here are some of the highlights from the pumpkins...
I have loved spending this time on Bainbridge Island. It is a special little community and we feel very lucky to be a part of it. Hooray for fall!
Cait
No comments:
Post a Comment